Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Top Underrated Wedding Songs



Hello, my name is Hailey and the past couple blog posts have been written by me (hopefully you're enjoying them!).  But let me introduce myself as this: I am passionate about music.  I have been apart of the Wilderness Ridge family for several years now and have worked all throughout the facility.  I have worked many weddings as a banquet server, and being the complete music geek that I am, I have gained a decent idea of popular wedding songs.  


This post is designed to promote the under dogs in the music world, and maybe to inspire you to incorporate these songs for the traditional dances, or in your overall playlist. 



Rustic Theme

Gimmieakiss by The Avett Brothers
The Avett Brothers are definitely creating a name for themselves.  This North Carolina based bluegrass/rock band has lots of sweet tunes.  Check out Gimmieakiss as a toe-tapping song to get everyone dancing.

I've Got This Friend by The Civil Wars
This duo has a great album called Barton Hollow. My intreptation of this song is of two friends who are head over heels for each other.  Cute song for a bride & groom dance.

Oh La La by The Faces
Definitely an underrated group dance song for the playlist. Such a philosophical chorus, as well: "I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger". 

Love Love Love by Tristan Prettyman
Who doesn't love when a girl sings and plays the guitar? Take a hint from the song title, it's a cute little love song.  Also, this song would fit in the beach category as well! 



Vintage Theme

Waltz for Debby


Here's the deal, I have selected two different versions of this song: An instrumental jazz version and an acapella version. The above video is the instrumental piece by the original composer Bill Evans with Cannonball Adderley on the alto saxophone.  
The second video is the acapella version by The Real Group. The lyrics by Gene Lees tell the story of a little girl who grows up.  Perfect for a bride and father dance. But, if you're not into the "Glee" feel, you can still use the instrumental version. 

Misty by Ella Fitzgerald
The beautiful Ella.  Just listen to this ballad and you'll love the idea of dancing with your husband to this song. Just being fully in love with your husband and classic jazz standards.

Four by Miles Davis & John Coltrane
Everyone's heard the name Miles Davis, but do many actually know a song by the famous jazz trumpeter? Play this tune to get people in their dancing shoes or as up tempo background music. 



Urban Theme

Dress & Tie by Charlene Kaye feat. Darren Criss
Totally adorable song that is a perfect wedding song. Just listen to it, and marvel at how cute it is. "I'll wear that dress if you wear that tie and baby, we'll dance through the night - cause no one's got what we got going". 

Just Like Heaven (cover) by Charlotte Martin
Shout out to all my Cure fans! The frontman for the Cure wrote this song about his girlfriend who later became his wife.  But if you want to use the ballad version for a dance with your man, this might be the one. 

The Girl by City and Colour
Okay, guys. Need a song to dedicate to your totally selfless lady? This is it. The lyrics tell a story of a man who is eternally grateful to his lady who is always there for him. First part is ballad, second is a jamming upbeat tune to the same lyrics.

Single Ladies (cover) by Sara Bareilles
Alright, Single Ladies by Beyonce is the anthem for the bouquet toss. However, why not add a twist of a cover? Sara Bareilles is a magical human-being who is incredibly talented. Check out her creative interpretation of Single Ladies.



Beach Theme

Paint it Golden by Jason Reeves & Colbie Caillat
A nice ballad for the general playlist or for a special dance.  

Groovin' Slowly by John Butler Trio
Let's get everyone grooving with this song. I can already imagine the sand in-between my toes while slow dancing to this piece. 

The Girl from Ipanema by Stan Getz feat. João & Asturd Gilberto
Okay, so many people may recognize this song and refer to it as "elevator music" but seriously, so much potential to this song. Just listen to the lyrics of Asturd Gilberto. Groove to the sunset to this piece. 

It Don't Matter by Donavon Frankenreiter
Come on, if you're doing a beach theme wedding, it's just gotta groove and be relaxed. "If it don't matter to you, it don't matter to me"!



Vineyard Theme

Que Sera, Sera by Doris Day
So when trying to differentiate between "vintage" and "vineyard" I came up with this: Vintage is more jazz while vineyard is a classic theme.  Que Sera is a nice piece to get everyone dancing or as nice background music. You may even hear the grandparents talking about their favorite Doris Day films while dancing to this song.

Comme des Enfants by Coeur de Pirate
So it's not Italian, but the French language still puts the theme to life. No worries, this video does have an "almost" accurate English translation to it as well. 

Lay Lady Lay by Magnet feat. Gemma Hayes
This sultry piece is a Bob Dylan cover. However this song would make a great bride & groom or couples dance. 



Great Songs No Matter What the Theme Is

I Put a Spell on You by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Whether your wedding is near Halloween or not, this classic is definitely not heard enough at weddings. Gotta give credit to the classic rock genre!

I'm Coming Home by Diddy - Dirty Money feat. Skylar Grey 
I won't lie. I actually heard this song recently on a commercial for a TV show. But I immediately fell in love with this song. If you're more into a hip hop feel you should give this song a shot. 

(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher & Higher by Jackie Wilson
Get everyone dancing with this classic. Come on, can the lyrics or title get any better for proclaiming your love to another person? 





So this is just some of my suggestions after quickly running through my iTunes. I'm positive that I've missed a ton of other spectacular songs that need to be on this list. Do you have any ideas? Comment with your favorite underrated wedding songs! Keep checking back for part two of this list!

Wilderness does not own the rights to any of these awesome songs. 







9 comments:

  1. This is such a nice list of wedding songs. Thanks for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely feedback! We hope to do a follow up soon!

      Delete
  2. i like musics i was so presentable for wedding and music for wedding planning in mobile app for song was so cool idea for best music thanks for idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post you've got here! this can be extremely useful. i am glad I came upon your web log. Also, for a live Wedding Music, I recommend hiring one amongst the live wedding funk bands from wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! and I totally agree with you. I love these wedding songs. i wish you also have post about father daughter wedding songs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. is a song about a love that lasts a lifetime. Musiq dons theatrical
    makeup in this mini-movie that shows a couple in love aging through the years, staying in love, and celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. songs for father daughter dance

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have worked many weddings as a banquet server, and being the complete music geek that I am, I have gained a decent idea of popular wedding songs. father daughter wedding dance songs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Selecting music for a party can be a tough task. I really get confused whenever I have to choose songs from a big list. Even visit couple of local venues to get an idea which songs are popular in parties these days.

    ReplyDelete